Wednesday, November 30, 2011

To The Long Beach...Post Haste!

Alrighty...I'm ready to go. I had a great sleep and have my mind made up. I shall give Dad such a surprise. He left for work already. Now I just need to have Mom let me out in the yard. I have devised my escape route. In making the yard nice and pretty, they had brick planter walls built. I suspect it never dawned on them that those walls would make a 6 foot fence easy to clear, did they? Of course the mighty Bubba and Celie probably never thought of my clever plan, hehehe.
So, I'm over the fence. Down the hill I run...all the way to the main road. George said look for the Gas Station and turn down the road before it. Got it. WOW...there are tons of cars on here. They are zipping right along. I don't know that I can keep up with this speed. They'll need to go around me that's all. Lots and lots of horns blowing...I guess that's the way to say hello while driving? I hope the beach isn't too far, this is rather scary to tell you the truth. They zip right next to me, the noise, it's all...well, rather overwhelming. What have I done? I can do this, right? I don't know how to go back anyhow so I better get there. After running so hard I'm a bit tired, I'll just stroll for a few minutes, get my energy back. Hey, look. It's a nice car pulling over ahead. Do you think they're headed to the long beach? I go close and they offer me a ride. How thoughtful. I sit still in the back, thankful for the rest. The sign for Beach Cities is ahead, this is great. But wait a second, they're pulling off the road. Do they know a shortcut? I think I may have dozed off because next thing I know I'm at a storefront. A vet office. Does my friend Vet have another place? Cool, he can help I'm sure. I go inside and the driver of the car talks to Vet and then leaves. I thought he was getting directions? Vet takes me to a room and leaves me there. Rude guy this one. Not at all like my friend Vet. A few minutes later Mom shows up.
Mom? How did she get here? She put the leash on me and was ready to leave and then the Vet and a girl there started yelling at Mom. They said she was unfit to have a dog. They said she was lucky to get me back, she should be reported for animal abuse. Mom? Are these folks nuts or what? Did they not understand when I told them about the beach and Dad and surprises? Duh.
So Mom puts me in the Jeep and we get ready to go home. I was not happy that Mom was yelled at by Vet so I used the magic window button to go out and tell them a thing or two. Mom nearly crashed the car though. She ran out and got me, causing more horns to blow. Hello, hello, hello. Too many friendly folks sometimes. I don't have time to say hello to all of you nuts! So back into the car we go. Magic window no longer magical for me. We drive home. Mom hasn't said a word. We get into the garage and Mom sits in the car and cries. Why was she crying? Did she realize my surprise for Dad had been ruined? Did she know Dad would have been so happy to see me? I've never seen my Mom cry and I do not like it, not at all. Then she spoke to me. She said I was to never, not ever, run off again. She said those cars could have hit me, killed me, or even picked me up and taken me to where I'd never come back home again. Oh my. I had never thought of that. Never come back? But this is my forever home, how could somebody keep me from here?
I don't ever want to see Mom cry, I don't want to lose my home, I don't think I'm ever going to go to the beach. I think it's like Dorothy said....there's no place like home!

No comments:

Post a Comment